10 New 5E D&D Magic Items from Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden
The latest fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons campaign adventure conceals horror beneath the icy tundra north of the Spine of the World. Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden pulls adventurers in a terrifying tale threatening to cover the frozen North of Faerun in everlasting night. Designed as a complete campaign, 1st level characters who brave the cold touch of death discover fantastic secrets and treasure entombed in the dark heart of a glacier as they advance up to 12th level. Frozen wilderness hazards and dangerous new creatures along with paranoia inducing isolation challenge characters but new rewards await those who overcome the dangers. Here’s the ten new 5E D&D magic items waiting for heroes to discover in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden.
A tomb tapper defends the Ythrun mythallar from a group of treasure hunters in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden for fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. [Image courtesy Wizards of the Coast]
5E D&D magic items of the frozen North
- Abracadabrus. A very rare wondrous item capable of conjuring mundane objects like food, small tools or a pair of mittens. Obviously an adventuring party with one of these amazing magic items can overcome wilderness survival much more easily so be careful about this one’s potential to disrupt that resource scarce campaign you worked so hard creating. On the other hand a prop comic could make a killing with one of these. Do you have any idea of Carrot Top’s net worth?
- Cauldron of Plenty. When the abracadabrus runs out of charges (if it does you’re really squeezing it for everything it’s worth!) this rare wondrous item exists to satisfy the craving for comfort food on those hellish subzero adventuring days in the frozen wastelands. At least, for four people up to three times every day.
- Hook of Fisher’s Delight. Here’s a fun rare wondrous item capable of conjuring a magical fish complete with a Hook of Fisher’s Delight table to randomly determine the effects of the fish. Maybe it grants nourishment and temporary hit points, maybe you can throw it at a creature 120 feet away to knock it prone or maybe it sprouts wings and follows you around in the air singing beautiful Aquan songs.
- Lantern of Tracking. On the common end of things this enchanted lantern’s flame flares bright green whenever a certain creature type is near.
- Professor Orb. Ten Towns really digs them some wondrous items. This rare one is sentient with the personality of a scholar and an archive of extensive knowledge. At least one individual professor orb lies somewhere within Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. This particular orb’s database concerns Netherse history, vampirism, a rare elven liquor called Elverquisst and the tarrasque if these help give you any indication what’s in store.
- Psi Crystal. Would you be surprised if I told you this is a wondrous item? It’s only uncommon though, and creatures with Intelligence 3 or higher gain telepathy as long as their attuned. Even more intriguing is the variation of the range for telepathy and intensity of the crystal light depending on your Intelligence score…
- Scroll of Tarrasque Summoning. Scrolls usually aren’t known for being exciting magic items but with a name like this you take notice. This legendary (duh) magic item does exactly what it says on the tin. This is how the world ends, isn’t it?
- Scroll of the Comet. Another legendary scroll, this one let’s you cosplay Sephiroth and literally call down a comet from space that honestly doesn’t devastate the impact region nearly as much as you might imagine. That being said I’m an advocate for low orbit space dive survival if you’ve got the hit points so sure, take a comet to the face and live to tell the story.
- Thermal Cube. Overcome one of the primary obstacles of the entire Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign with this little old common wondrous item pumping out constant 95 degrees Fahrenheit temperature in a 15 foot radius all day long.
- Ythryn Mythallar. The big whopper of this campaign’s magic items! A legendary crystal ball 50 feet in diameter these classic Netherese globes keep flying cities aloft and power other magic items. Up to eight creatures can attune to this one simultaneously and gain tremendous power while doing so. Mentally moving the object itself along with all matter within 500 feet gets the ball rolling. Renewing spent magic item charges falls with the mythallar’s purview too and oh year, any creature that touches it gets incinerated by radiant damage.
The mix of new 5E D&D magic items in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden presents an an eclectic list. A variety of magic items to put survival challenges on the back burner share the appendix with legendary items packed with storytelling potential. All things considered my favorite one is the psi crystal simply for the game design giddiness I felt thinking about exploring magic items scaling with ability scores. Nerdarchist Ted already has next months magic item card planned out with one of my favorite pieces of art we’ve had for any of our products yet. We put up our first one, the glaive of wizardry, in the store and you can get it for free here.