Need help with a Bad Luck Brian player

Forums The Forum GM 9 1 1 Need help with a Bad Luck Brian player

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  whitexknight 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

BrokenToothGrin
    Participant

I DM for a small group of friends, 6 of us in total. They’re all great people, but one in particular is always inadvertently messing things up for himself the others. So far he’s accidentally caused 1 TPK (caused an avalanche), caused the deaths of 2 of his teammates (one through a poorly placed fireball and another by thunder-waving the cleric into lava), and he’s just managed to kill his own character for the 6th time (oh god the list). And that list of impressive feats is dwarfed by the mind-boggling strain of trying to get through a social encounter with him around.
    He’s managed to accomplish all of this through a terrible combination of bad luck and poor foresight. I’m really sure he’s not doing it on purpose, but patience in the group is starting to wear thin. It was funny at first and we all managed to laugh it off, but now I’m really at the end of my rope. It seems no matter what he does he ends up making the situations worse.
    I’ve managed to steer him away from the caster classes, but that hasn’t helped as much as i thought it would. I really don’t want to have to ask him to leave the campaign, but i don’t see any other way to handle this. Any advice is welcome.

whitexknight
    Participant

Well if he’s just bad at role play then perhaps let him “role play” the social encounters, assuming his character is even capable of such. If, on the other hand, he’s just causing goof ups by having a run of bad luck with terrible roles there isn’t a lot you can do, but I don’t think I’ve ever met a player who’s luck is so bad that it ruined a game. If by poor foresight you mean he’s making and executing terrible plans then the party should stop him. Especially if he’s not the tactician character.

Speaking to specifics from what you’ve given me though, with the fireball and thunder-wave, was he given a proper visual? Presumably his character would know who he was going to effect by launching the spell even if the player was unaware and should have been forewarned that his allies were in the line of fire. IF this was minds-eye and he was not forewarned that’s on you. If he had a diagram showing relative location and the radius of his spell and his ally was clearly in that area, then its not an accident.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.