GM 911: Rewarding players for buying into a Setting? What to do with Jackasses?

Forums The Forum GM 911: Rewarding players for buying into a Setting? What to do with Jackasses?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kurtoogle 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

kurtoogle
    Participant

Dear Ted, Dave, Ryan, & Nate:

This is a bit of an advanced GMing question. I love running and playing in D&D games that emphasize specific strong themes and interesting settings (Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Cthulhu, etc), but find myself frustrated when players act in a way that is not condusive to the mood of the setting.

Aside from a very strong session zero, handing out RP resources (that aren’t daunting), and supportive reminders, how would you keep your players immersed in the setting during a game? Would you consider giving out inspiration & hero-points for maintaining the theme (it is rewarding good role-playing)? Would you give out other rewards? What about cinematica-framing of scenes to keep focus?

A big part of the keeping on theme issue is the “gobbillo” problem – some players LOVE to vent and be jackasses, and this can be incredibly entertaining. However, jackassery in horror, intrigue, dramatic, or brutal-survival themed games don’t work well, as it disrupts the GM and other players efforts. Punishing a jackass and being a hardass has it’s problems too. How do you handle it as a player, and as a GM? Do you go to the group for consensus? What if you are the jackass (and I know you are sometimes)? What would help reign you in?

• This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  kurtoogle.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.